Thursday, March 29, 2012

Do Authors Need A Mobile Website? Yes!

Whether we are published or not, we love our blogs. There's just something exciting about putting our thoughts out there for the world to read. Many of us choose from the available free services – blogger, wordpress.com and companies who promise free hosting, to name a few.

But the fact is that if we intend to reach a larger audience, we must consider a mobile website. More and more people are surfing the web using mobile devices: smart phones and tablets. Some people have moved completely to tablets and don't even boot up a laptop anymore. The world is becoming more mobile day by day.

Knowing this – we must respond and provide our content in a format that the public can read on their handheld devices. Since I am a full-time freelancer, it seemed like this skill would be a great addition to my portfolio. I already build Wordpress blogs and migrate blogger blogs to Wordpress for other writers, so why hesitate on learning how to build mobile-friendly sites?  So I took the plunge.

This is what my blog looked like on a smart phone before I built a mobile site:



It's pretty easy to see that it is not reader-friendly. Only a portion of the page shows and you can bet that anyone visiting this site on a smart phone will click their back button in less time than it takes to fully load. What I need is a mobile site that provides a full page view, with navigation that makes sense to the viewer. This is the one I built for myself:



As you can see, the navigation is clear and easy to follow. Whether you would like to read the About Me page or my Recent Blog Post, there is no question where you would click to find them. Not only that, the "Click to Call" button will call my office number from your smart phone. All I had to do was select my header image directly from my blog, write pages that are appropriate for a mobile device and code them for the platform. Of course, you don't want to put everything you have on a mobile site, it would load too slowly. So you decide exactly what you would like to showcase and create a site that lets visitors know who you are.

If a reader clicks a link in search engine results that points to my blog while on a mobile device, they will automatically be transferred to the mobile version. To accomplish this automatic switch, a website must be on a top level domain (TLD). If you have a Wordpress site on a TLD, I can even install a plugin that will do the work for you as long as your mobile and desktop sites are hosted on the same server. If your site is coded in HTML, I also have a script that can be installed on your pages to send mobile visitors to the new mobile version.

My freelance site is: http://PayNoPostage.com – and the rates for building mobile sites are listed on my "Services Available" page on the mobile version. (If you do not have a mobile device, you can see my mobile site on your desktop or laptop by keying in this URL in the browser bar: http://m.paynopostage.com.)

If you mention you read about it on Wendy's blog, I will give you a 10% discount on the price of building your new mobile site.

Why wait? I am building mobile sites now. 

Michael Lee Joshua is a happy grandpa and a freelance writer. He is also skilled in SEO techniques and can help you find and dominate your niche on the internet. Visit his blog at http://InspirationalSayingsFromGrandpasHeart.comor his SEO site http://PayNoPostage.com

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That is a wonderful idea. I will definitely visit Michael's sites and think about upgrading to a mobile-friendly site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please continue this great work and I look forward to more of your awesome blog posts. poker88

    ReplyDelete