Sunday, November 3, 2013

Haunted Cemetery Part 2

The truth is that I didn't need realize the response I'd get about my visit to the cemetery so the few pictures I took sucked on that trip. However, I have revisited the cemetery to get some more pictures to share.

I have done some research on this cemetery and found that there was a small town named Adamsville just down the road from the cemetery. In 1900 the town flooded and a lot of people died. They were buried in an extended part of the cemetery and nobody knows exactly how many people are buried there because only the important people have headstones. I found another document saying that the people in Adamsville had been doing a rain ceremony shortly before the flood and cut the head off a chicken. The people on the Indian reservation across the street thought they were performing witchcraft and a fight broke out. Here is what is left of Adamsville:

The whole reason why I wanted to visit the cemetery were the 'witches' graves near the road. I couldn't find much information about these witches except for the hint of witchcraft that I mentioned above. Notice in the pictures that there are no headstones and someone occasionally puts flowers on the graves. Here is a better picture of the witches graves.


The interesting part of this is that I've asked people around Florence about these graves. Most people have heard of the witches, a few agree that the place is haunted, but nobody really knows the story. Nobody knew of Adamsville. I hear that if you go to the graves at night, you might see the witches wandering around.





My experience in the cemetery was interesting. First of all, I never get scared in graveyards, but this one had me on edge the moment I stepped out of the car. I was wearing capris that day that went to my knees. The first strange thing that happened was when I walked into the cemetery. The front of my legs started itching and burning. The feeling was intense enough to offer discomfort but not to put me in pain. I ignored the sensation and kept exploring the place. The itching/burning left as quickly as it came about 5 minutes later.

The second incident was right before we left. I heard a woman's voice in the small patch of trees in the corner of the cemetery. I asked Dan if he'd heard anything and he said no.  I didn't go over there on this trip but did on my second. Take a look at the pictures. The first one shows that there are no houses in the area that would allow a woman's voice to travel from. The second shows the patch of trees where I heard it from and the third is the single grave among the trees.












The third thing was a picture I took on the 2nd trip there. My daughter says the blur is my finger. I tried retaking the picture with my finger in the same location and looking the same way. The second picture is the closest we were able to get and was taken at a different location. I don't think it looks the same. You be the judge...



























Here are some random pictures of the cemetery. As you can see, the place is worn out and has been vandalized. It makes me sad to visit because I see the attempt that someone makes to better the place without much luck.





































Guess what else? My daughter has convinced Dan to take her there at night. I won't be going! Instead, I'll be begging local friends to let me hang out at their houses while my family goes ghost hunting.











6 comments:

  1. There is a elderly couple that goes on saterday early in the morning ( around 5 am ) and there cleaning it up and taking care of it.. maybe if you want to know more about it see about finding them .. i know i would love to know more ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is a beautiful labrynth out there now. Someone has lined it with solar yard lights. I've not seen any of that garbage out there and I was just there. Someone has taken real strides in making it a true resting place tor the Mason's and the witches (if that's really what they were.) It could be that they were Native Americans doing a rain dance. Either way it's pretty incredible history rir this little town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...I have been restoring the Butte View Cemetery for almost 2 years. Just next door to the Adamsville. I have also done research on the cemetery for that period. Sorry..the 3 witches are just a legend. The 3 unmarked graves with the cement covers belong to the Whitlows and Morell families. The stories of ghosts however ARE true. Two have spoken to me and 1 spoke to me Latina Helper. Douglas Stewart-Restorator. Coolidgecounrty@gmx.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was out at Butte View today and saw graves of Franklin P Morrell and Benjamin F Morrell. Both have signs showing death date as June 27th, 1897. But found newspaper articles to support Franklin dying on July 17th, 1897

      Delete
  4. I was born and raised in Florence and I had never heard of any witches being buried there... twice a month we fo to.florenve cemetery to visit my dad and qe pass by this cemetery all the time....even when I was little I never heard of this being a witch burial site...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just heard the story about the witches and flood today from a friend. Her son even explained an incident that happened to him there. I love history and this place sounds amazing..

    ReplyDelete